In today’s world technology has become an important part of our life. From early morning social media browsing to late-night gaming sessions, from checking email notifications to watching our favorite series on Netflix. Yes, technology has made our lives easy and entertaining. But with all these positives it has affected our physical health in a negative way. The body organ adversely affected by this lifestyle is our eyes. With lives depending on screens for entertainment, gaming, studies, and even work, it has become more important than ever to take care of our eyes. Today we bring some important tips on how to keep eyes healthy.
Wash with COLD water
Cold water is known to refreshes our body and relieves stress similarly cold water reduces burning sensations, and relieves stress. Cold water further improves blood circulation. Washing eyes with cold water is simple and easy but significantly helps our eyes against strains.
Just like Excercise is important for our physical fitness, our eyes need exercise to maintain their well being. These exercises are simple and can be done anywhere anytime. There are 2 simple exercises one can do to ensure eyes remain fit.
Pencil/ pen exercise: Hold a pen vertical in your hand. Focus on the pointed tip. Move the pen Up then down then left then right. Keep your focus on the pen tip. The key is to keep your focus on a moving pointed spot. It will put the eyes muscles to work ensuring they remain strong and flexible.
This can be done without a pen or pencil as well. Just keep your head fixed and straight. Focus on an object to extreme up, down, left, and right for 3 seconds each.
Do these exercises 3-4 times a day for 2 mins. Just like our body movement is affected by muscles our eyes movement is as well. Eyes exercises ensure our eye’s muscles remain flexible and strong. These muscles get a week as we mainly focus on one point while watching at a screen in one angle. Keeping our eyes fixed on a screen makes our eyes muscles week.
Golden rule on How to keep eyes healthy : Take a break from short distance every 20 mins and look 20 feet away for 20 seconds while working on a screen.
Use Anti-Blue light glasses for long work on pc or gaming sessions
Every screen emits Blue light that adversely affects our eyesight. Some Television, screen comes with less blue light emission than others. But every screen does emits these harmful rays more or less. Yes, Lowering the backlit and brightness does help. But the best way to protect eyes from these blue light rays is to use anti-blue ray glasses. These glasses have a special coating that filters the blue light.
Anti Blue light is also effective in curing insomnia. Screen rays trigger our brain cells and confuse them in deciding that it’s night time. These blue-ray glasses reduce these lights and let our brains produce enough melatonin for better sleep.
These Anti Blue light glasses also known as computer glasses are easily available in glasses shops, eyes specialist store and online shopping marts like Amazon.
Use proper lighting
Properly lit rooms are essential for our eye’s health. Especially in a working and studying environment where our eyes need to focus lighting does play an important role in keeping eyes strain to minimal. A Bright heavy-lit room is as stressful for our eyes as a dim-lit room is. Our eyes are sensitive to lights and they have to work extra hard in an extremely bright or a dim-lit room. Working in such an environment stresses our eyes and makes them dry quickly. Repeatedly working or studying in such an environment can cause damage to not only our eyesight but also can cause issues like headaches and migraines.
Get adequate sleep
The effect of a bad sleepy night or lack of sleep reflects mostly on our eyes. Those dark circles and dry red eyes are a sign that eyes didn’t get a chance to heal, recharge at night, while we stayed up. Much Like our brain and our body, our eyes also need proper sleep and rest. Lack of sleep can cause serious eye issues like Glaucoma and degradation of eyesight in the long run.
Just like our body need a good 7-8 hour of sleep at night, our eyes does need the same sleep rest period.
Food for eyesight improvement
A proper and healthy diet is essential for every organ of our body. Our body can only be as healthy as we eat. Our body organ health reflects our diet. Food Rich in Vitamin and minerals can not only keep our eyes fit but can significantly improve our eyesight. We have created a quick checklist of food one should add to their diet to keep their eyes healthy.
- Fish/Fish oil: Rich in Vitamin A and Omega 3, Fish is one of the finest food for our eyesight. Salmon, in particular, is known as one of the greatest food for our eyesight. Vitamin A which is essential for our eyes and Omega 3 fatty acid which keeps our eyes muscles healthy, keeps our eyes safe from dryness, and improves retina health.
- Eggs: Eggs have many health benefits for our bodies as well as for our eyes. Rich in Vitamin A, lutein, and zinc keeps our eyes fit. Eggs also contribute to our overall body health which indirectly also helps our eyes.
- Green Vegetable: Green Vegetables are rich in antioxidants, 2 of these are zeaxanthin and lutein. These antioxidants are stored in shields of eyes that protect them from light rays. Spinach and Kale are 2 of the best Green Vegetable one can add to there diets
- Citrus food: Citrus food is also rich in vitamins and minerals. Oranges, grapefruit, lemon, etc contains a high amount of Vitamin C that boosts the immunity of our body and eyesight.
- Nuts: Almonds, Walnuts, or any other nut are rich in Omega 3 as well as Vitamin E which significantly boost eyes health.
- Vitamin supplements: Over the counter supplements are easily available for all above-listed vitamins. Good Supplements must have Vitamine C, Vitamin E, lutein, zinc, zeaxanthin, and copper. There are also over the counter supplements available for Omega 3 supplement.
Keep your eyesight in check
If you notice any irregularities in your eyes sight it’s best to avoid taking any chance and visit a professional eye specialist. Sometimes we take our chances until things are worst which degrade our eyesight even further. Eyesight will keep on degrading until they receive proper treatment.
Similarly wearing perfect numbered power glasses is very important. If you notice any blurry vision with your current glasses it’s best to get your eyes checked and get new power glasses before it degrades any further. It’s always best to get specialists advice on how to keep your eyes healthy.